Member Liable for Unpaid Dues and Late Fees
Facts: An association filed a small claims action against a member, seeking unpaid dues and late fees. The member filed a counterclaim alleging slander and defamation against two board members. At the hearing, the member admitted that he had not paid dues since 2007, but claimed that the association could not collect, because it was not a legal entity capable of initiating a lawsuit. The member argued that the association is in violation of several provisions of Indiana state law relating to associations.
The resource you requested is available only to current members.
Please log in or start your membership account.
Sign up for your free trial membership and access this resource now.
Community Association Management Insider helps community association managers keep their co-ops, condominiums, and homeowner’s associations running effectively and within budget — and all in the bounds of state, local, and federal law, as well as their governing documents.
Click here for quick FREE trial sign-up.
As a member, you get:
- Model tools, such as letters to members, bylaws, and contractor agreements
- Step-by-step management techniques
- Updates on new laws and court cases that impact you
- Easy-to-implement solutions to managers' thorniest challenges.
Community Association Management Insider will show you how to:
- Avoid liability and get indemnity
- Effectively and economically manage maintenance and repairs
- Get better deals from contractors
- Get the right insurance coverage
- And much, much more
Sign up for your free trial membership and access this resource now »