Ambivalence Toward Smoking Going Up in Flames
Q: Several unit owners in the condominium building I manage are longtime cigarette smokers. I’ve fielded an increasing number of complaints from nonsmoker unit owners, some of whom are claiming the cigarette smoke is affecting their health. The board has been working with our attorney on whether and how to create a smoking ban inside the building. In the meantime, one of the unit owners has moved out and is planning to sue the association because she can’t live in her unit while it’s filled with secondhand smoke.
The resource you requested is available only to current members.
Please log in or start your membership account.
Sign up for your free trial membership and access this resource now.
Community Association Management Insider helps community association managers keep their co-ops, condominiums, and homeowner’s associations running effectively and within budget — and all in the bounds of state, local, and federal law, as well as their governing documents.
Click here for quick FREE trial sign-up.
As a member, you get:
- Model tools, such as letters to members, bylaws, and contractor agreements
- Step-by-step management techniques
- Updates on new laws and court cases that impact you
- Easy-to-implement solutions to managers' thorniest challenges.
Community Association Management Insider will show you how to:
- Avoid liability and get indemnity
- Effectively and economically manage maintenance and repairs
- Get better deals from contractors
- Get the right insurance coverage
- And much, much more
Sign up for your free trial membership and access this resource now »